I was nominated by Justine @ Milkz’ Bookshelf to do the Sunshine Blogger Award. As a new blog this is my first time being tagged in anything and I am so excited! Thank you so much! 🙂
What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given to those who are creative, positive and inspiring while spreading sunshine to the blogging community.
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you by linking their blog.
2. Answer the questions.
3. Nominate 11 blogs with 11 questions.
4. List the rules as well as display the Sunshine Award Logo on your post.
1. Where do you get your inspiration to blog?
I have always been a big reader, but I never posted about it on social media. At the end of 2016, I got really sick (the details of my illness are irrelevant right now) and I was unable to work for a long time due to the harsh regimen of medication I was taking, and a lot of side effects prevented me from doing things like driving, watching tv, scrolling on my phone, so even more so I turned to reading books. Although my health is a little more stable, I still have very bad days and reading has been a great source of comfort and self care for me.
I have read more books this year than in a long time and I started to share what I was reading on social media (mostly on my Instagram Story) so that my friends can see! The comments and DMs I would get were all so encouraging, even people that followed me that I haven’t spoken to in years would reach out and want to talk about the books I was reading or ask for recommendations. My little online community talking about the books they liked really lifted my spirits when my personal life was on the rocks.
I decided to marry my love of reading and writing and create this blog this year! I had started other blogs before (I have a personal Tumblr, a teaching blog, a blog where I documented my hair care journey, and a collaborative blog with my twin sister) some were more successful than others but I have always enjoyed writing and with all the books I have been reading, I figured I’d dip my toe in the bookish blogging universe!
2. What intimidates you most about blogging?
In the short time I have been keeping up with bookish blogs, what intimidates me most is how fast people read! Even with full time jobs and lives outside of the Internet, it seems like everyone can read pretty fast. I have always been self conscious of how slow I read since I was in middle school and high school. There is no way I’ll be able to read 50+ books in a year like most BookTubers or book bloggers, but when I started this blog I wanted it to be something I enjoyed and not have it seem like work so I’m just going to have fun with this!
3. How has blogging changed your life?
It has expanded my online community and to be honest the blogging community is full of the nicest most supportive people!
4. Can you point me to some of your favorite “hidden gem” bloggers?
My blog is so new you all seem like “hidden gems” to me, haha. I will just give a regular recommendation. Shalini @ Book Reviews by Shalini gives great reviews on a lot of books I haven’t read but would love to pick up one day!
5. How personal do you get in your blog posts?
My blog is a baby right now so I haven’t had the opportunity to get too personal yet. I think the most personal I have been was the answer to that first question when I talked about my illness. I am pretty open with certain things in my life so I am not opposed to sharing when the time comes!
6. What are 2 of your favorite things to do outside of the bookish world?
I love to go to the beach! Any activity that allows me to be in the ocean is automatically my favorite.
I also love to dance!
7. What’s the last book that surprised you?
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi! I am not one to gravitate towards Fantasy and I actually put the book down after reading the summary the first time I saw a copy at the bookstore. I am really glad I ended up go back and reading it though because it is one of my favorite books I’ve read in 2018!
8. What is one of your favorite bookish memories?
I am a teacher, so while my days are always crazy busy I always try and at least read a chapter or two in a book during my lunch period. During one of my working lunches, I was reading in my classroom and one of my students saw me reading Children of Blood and Bone and would read over my shoulder! I only noticed he was behind me because we gasped at a crazy part at the same time! He was so into what I was reading sometimes I would let him read my copy of CBB during his lunch period and when he would come and visit me and we would talk about the crazy twists that happened.
9. What’s the most extreme thing you’ve done related to books?
I recently bought 10 books in one week. (check out the Book Haul here!) I have never been that frivolous in buying books but there was SO much I wanted to read I lost all self control.
10. Can you give me and other bloggers 1-2 blogging tips?
For new bloggers I would say the best thing is to put out as much content as you can and then transition into a posting schedule. It’s strange advice but it has really worked for me so far!
Interacting with your followers and other blogs helps with your own site’s traffic and its just a great way to build community!
11. If you have a blog theme, how and why did you decide on it?
I used one of the free themes WordPress provides. I think it looks the cleanest and I love the sidebar where I can put my follow button, Goodreads Shelf, etc.
1. What is your favorite book that you read in middle school/high school?
2. Have you met anyone from the blogging community IRL? How was it?!
3. Where do you get ideas for blog posts?
4. What book do you always recommend to people?
5. What’s a bookish unpopular opinion that you have?
6. What is one blogging tip that you used that really worked for you?
7. Who is your favorite non-bookish blogger?
8. Would you have someone do a guest post on your blog?
9. Where is your favorite place to read?
10. How many books can you read at one time before it gets to be too much?
11. Why did you decide to blog on WordPress?
I don’t think I have 11 blogs that I can think of so I’ll nominate 5!
Thanks again for the nomination, Justine! This is my first tag and it seriously made my day when you thought of me. 🙂 I don’t follow many people since my blog is so new, but I tried to tag people that have been commenting/liking my posts and being all around supportive of my blog! You guys probably have already done this tag a million times before though so it’s no pressure to do my tag! Thank you, all!